Re: Mathematica 7.01 and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103956] Re: Mathematica 7.01 and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:21:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/13/09 at 7:18 AM, akozlowski at gmail.com (Andrzej Kozlowski)
wrote:

>I have been experiencing rare but very irritating problems running
>Mathematica 7.01 under Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on a MacBook. What
>happens is that for some reason the kernel suddenly quits during an
>evaluation. When I try to restart it (by evaluating some expression)
>I get the message: "The kernel failed to start because you attempted
>to run more Mathematica kernels than you have licensed." There are
>two buttons, Purchase and Cancel. I find it rather annoying that the
>Purchase button is selected by default but not half as annoying as
>the fact that clicking on either button produces no effect.
>Everything is actually frozen and there is no way out other than
>force quitting Mathematica.

>Has anyone experienced anything similar? As I mentioned - this seems
>fairly rare; it has happened twice since I installed Snow Leopard
>about  a month ago and I can't reproduce it.

Yes, I've seen something very similar which as you say is very
rare. It has only occurred once or twice since I installed Snow
Leopard about a month ago. Far too seldom to associate it with a
specific action on my part.

I will note I was having another problem with Mathematica and
Snow Leopard which I now attribute to a third party utility I
had installed, Key Cue. That utility would produce a display of
all the key board shortcuts available in a program after holding
a trigger key down for a while. With Key Cue installed, I
Mathematica would beep indicating an error. Mathematica acted as
if I tried to evaluate something without having anything
selected. Whenever this problem occurred, Mathematica's memory
consumption would significantly increase. It only took a few
times until several swap files would be created significantly
slowing Mathematica. I've not had this problem since removing
Key Cue from my system.

I've also not experienced the other issue since removing Key
Cue. But this may be entirely coincidental given how rarely the
other has occurred.