Mathematica 5.2 with xorg-server-1.6 and updated Xorg libraries

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103969] Mathematica 5.2 with xorg-server-1.6 and updated Xorg libraries
  • From: Denis <denis.che at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:55:10 -0400 (EDT)

Is anyone still running Mathematica 5.2 on a linux box?

I have had it for a few years, and this version has been excellent and
very solid.  I run it on a Gentoo box (kernel 2.6.30), with Xorg for
the X-window interface.

This was until I had a major X upgrade on Gentoo, going from
xorg-server-1.5.3 to xorg-server-1.6.3 and also libxcb was upgraded
from 1.1 to 1.4, along with other relevant libraries.  After this
upgrade, my GUI/Frontend crashes X whenever I scroll up!  How bizarre
is that!

The questions I have are following:

1)  what does Mathematica 5.2 use for its FrontEnd?  It is Qt?  Motif?
 Does someone know the version?

2)  how does Mathematica link to the X-related libraries when it is
installed on Linux?  does it make links to system libraries?  If so,
do I need to re-link the libraries when I have major updates to this
libraries on my system?  Maybe this is a cause of why my Frontend
crashes X when I scroll - if it isn't linked appropriately.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!