Generic Mapping Tools and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104018] Generic Mapping Tools and Mathematica
  • From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All:

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever used Mathematica and Generic
Mapping Tools (GMT) together? I know there is the WorldPlot package,
but I would like to incorporate fault lines, and data on a regional
level, states, counties, etc. For example, plotting California and the
San Andreas fault network is straightforward in GMT. Moreover, the
datasets already exist.

I've not seen any similar functionality in Mathematica's WorldPlot.

All the examples are colouring of countries in various projections.
Frankly, not very useful for anyone other than a high school student.
In effect, it behaves like a glorified geography course, but not ready
for more accurate geodetic/geophysical research. A seemless way to
incorporate GMT (and GMT datasets such as fault maps) would make a far
more usefull application.

Any pointers would be a huge help.