Re: Piecewise vs. /; ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104082] Re: Piecewise vs. /; ?
  • From: Szabolcs HorvÃt <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 05:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

I think I messed up the text of my previous message, so it might be a
bit difficult to follow.
But this got over-explained anyway.

In short, theoretically Integrate[] could be made to work with your
first two f[x] examples.  However, the properties of the Mathematica
language are such that it would be very difficult and impractical to
write an Integrate[] that could do this.  Why is this?  Imagine that
we are preparing to write a program that does *symbolic* integration.
You have to choose in what format to provide the input to the program.
 The two choices are: the input will be a Fortran subroutine that can
compute the value of the integrand.  Or the input will be specified in
a declarative language designed specifically to represent integrands
(and nothing else).  Which one would you choose?