Re: Re: JLink broken on Snow Leopard

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104295] Re: [mg104211] Re: JLink broken on Snow Leopard
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:26:31 -0500 (EST)

I am using a similar setup to you, except that the computer I tested
with is an iMac.

I had one freeze when trying to access Mathematica > About Mathematica
 > System Information.

However, after a force quit, I could not reproduce the problem, nor
would it appear on my macBook Pro.

I have seen no problem trying to open notebooks at all.

I saw a problem or two right after installing Snow Leopard, but after
starting Mathematica with the option key held down, the weirdness went
away -- except with the sole instance of the problem you report as
noted above.

I had a similar issue with the beta 4 for Workbench, but re-insalling
the app fixed that problem. The error messages pointed to a Java
exception.

I have no doubt that there is something going on -- probably with the
Java libraries -- and I am hoping that the upcoming 10.6.2 update will
resolve many of them. (I see on other geeky mac forums that there are
issues with Java under Snow Leopard, but I don't recall the details.)
If this does not fix the problem, perhaps Wolfram will figure out what
is going on and issue a patch.

george