Re: Quit Kernel when using Manipulate crashes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103082] Re: Quit Kernel when using Manipulate crashes
  • From: Vince <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 02:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 4, 7:00 am, Bruno Silva <bfasi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I use Manipulate and quit local kernel, Mathematica quits (and
> often I lost unsaved inputs).
> Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong in my procedure?
> (I'm working with Ubuntu)
>
> Thanks
> Bruno

Bruno,

That is only one of the failure modes of the Front End (though a new
one to me). There are others, that have significantly disrupted my
workflow; and recently, threatened an imminent customer presentation.
For example, I had a computation underway, with an expected runtime of
~ 1.5 hrs. Simultaneously, I was writing a set of charts in the Front
End. I enabled 'Slideshow' mode (stylesheet) for a preview, and
discovered I needed a slide break. So I took the fatal step (in
Slideshow mode, I suppose) of inserting a 'Navigation Bar'. The Front
End froze. After a long time, it displayed that dialog about a dynamic
evaluation not completing in time (to that effect). It prompted me to
wait or abort. I trusted neither and so took the fifth, as I needed
the background computation to complete (and save to disk) for the
above-mentioned presentation. Unfortunately, the Front End eventually
decided to quit on its own, and promptly disappeared. I restarted the
computation, but for a smaller data set, since time was now short.
This is what I mean by 'disrupted my workflow'. Sure, you can attach
caveats and prohibitioins to the tool, to avoid such close-calls. But
that's also a reminder that you're not working with something that's
industrial grade. The Front End is certainly clever and competent, but
it's also fragile.

I believe that WRI has (further?) destabilized the Front End with the
introduction of dynamics in version 6+. I hope they spend some time
cleaning house and tying up loose ends before releasing the next major
version, to improve its reliability, especially for larger problems.

Vince Virgilio