Re: Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103421] Re: Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/20/09 at 6:23 AM, max at alcyone.com (Erik Max Francis) wrote:

>What's the smoothest way to draw a ListPlot (or its friends,
>ListLogPlot, ListLogLogPlot, etc.) with another plot of just a
>normal function (which is actually a curve fit to the data) on top
>of the ListPlot?

>I know that I can just do two plots (which are just Graphics objects
>anyway) and then show them simultaneously with show, but since it's
>a ListPlot, but since I'm dealing with an arbitrary set of data I
>don't know what the bounds of the plot will be, so I don't see how
>to easily choose the proper limits for the second Plot to Show
>together.

>I presume there must be a standard way of doing this since it's a
>pretty common operation; what's the "proper" way to do it?

I don't know that there is a standard way. And as for proper
way, I would say anything that yields the desired result can be
considered proper. In any case, here is one way

data = RandomReal[1, {10, 2}];
f = FindFit[data, m x + b , {m, b}, x];

Plot[m x + b /. f, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True, Axes -> None,
  Epilog -> {Point[data]},
  PlotRange -> {.95 Min@data[[All, 2]], 1.05 Max@data[[All, 2]]}]