Re: Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103435] Re: Overlaying List...Plots with other Plots?
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> What's the smoothest way to draw a ListPlot (or its friends,
> ListLogPlot, ListLogLogPlot, etc.) with another plot of just a normal
> function (which is actually a curve fit to the data) on top of the ListPlot?
>
> I know that I can just do two plots (which are just Graphics objects
> anyway) and then show them simultaneously with show, but since it's a
> ListPlot, but since I'm dealing with an arbitrary set of data I don't
> know what the bounds of the plot will be, so I don't see how to easily
> choose the proper limits for the second Plot to Show together.
>
> I presume there must be a standard way of doing this since it's a pretty
> common operation; what's the "proper" way to do it?

Show[{plot1,plot2},PlotRange->Automatic]

usually does a good job combining the ranges of the original plots to
produce a good view. Unfortunately (IMO), the default for Show (since v.
6) is to use the range from the first plot listed, which is virtually
*never* what I (or my students) want. The students still get burned on
this sometimes, no matter how many times I tell them to always set
PlotRange->Automatic when they use Show. We would all be a lot happier
if PlotRange->Automatic was the default behavior for Show, and if we
really needed something else we would set an explicit PlotRange.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont