Re: convert txt to binary file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108856] Re: convert txt to binary file
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 07:45:22 -0400 (EDT)

jihane wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4Gb txt file and it is not possible to work with that because it is huge. Does someone knows how to convert an ascii file to a binary file using mathematica? I have a collegue that does it with another system but I can't find out how to do that. I searched a lot without sucess.
>
> Your help would be extremelly appreciated.
>
> Thank you!

I think it would help if you told us a lot more about the format of that
txt file, including perhaps a sample - but not the whole 4Gb :)

Manipulating that much data in one go may still be tricky, unless you
move to a 64-bit system with plenty of memory.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk