Re: size of ticks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108902] Re: size of ticks
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:26:20 -0400 (EDT)

You can use the Ticks option to hand construct the tick marks according to
the notes on the Ticks help page. But this is a bit of a chore if you want
both major labeled and minor unlabeled ticks. It is a bit easier with the
CustomTicks command in the Presentations package. Here I double the length
of the tick marks.

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

xticks = CustomTicks[Identity, {0, 7, 1, 5},
   CTTickSpecs -> 2 {0.0125`, 0},
   CTUnLabTickSpecs -> 2 {0.0075`, 0}];
yticks = CustomTicks[Identity, {-1, 1, .5, 5},
   CTTickSpecs -> 2 {0.0125`, 0},
   CTUnLabTickSpecs -> 2 {0.0075`, 0}];
Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi},
 Ticks -> {xticks, yticks}]

You can also use CustomTicks to put on any kind of tick scale that has a 1-1
mapping to the underlying plot coordinates.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Benjamin Hell [mailto:hell at exoneon.de]

Hi guys,
easy question this time. I want larger ticks on a plot. I know that I
can use TicksStyle->Directive[Thickness[0.005], 50] to set the Thickness
of the Ticks (here to 0.005) and the FontSize used for numbering the
ticks (here to 50). I didn't figure out how to make the ticks longer.
Thickness makes them broader, but does not influence the length. So how
can I do that?

Thanks in advance.