Re: Creating a hybrid cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108893] Re: Creating a hybrid cell
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:24:38 -0400 (EDT)

Geico Caveman wrote:
> I am doing a calculation. Let us say that the result of the calculation
> is in variable X1 (which was extracted from a list using [[]] type
> constructs - unimportant, but it is a result).
>
> I want to add text cells later in the notebook that refer to the value
> of X1 (not the string "X1"). I have tried doing this with the use of
> inline cells crtl + ( and ctrl + ), but when I evaluate the notebook, I
> just get something like :
>
> "We calculated X1 earlier to be X1." instead of the expected "We
> calculated X1 earlier to be <<value of X1>>".
>
> I am trying to use Mathematica as a tool to create a handout for a class.
>
> I am not a Mathematica newbie, though I am new to using it for any
> purpose other than as a calculation program.
>
> Any ideas if this is possible ?

This question is rather vague, but I have two suggestions:

1) Post some actual code that doesn't do what you expect, for us to look at.

2) Learn to do real Mathematica programming. What I mean is that most of
the cells in your notebook should do nothing but define functions (that
typically call each other). Then at the bottom of the notebook, you have
a few cells (often just one) that actually calls one of the functions to
do the calculation. It is a bit hard to figure out what you are doing,
but I don't think your work is organised that way.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk