Re: Precision of calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109469] Re: Precision of calculations
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 02:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

If Abs[f'[x]] > 1, then f[x] has LESS precision than x.

If x is machine precision, there's no tracking of that loss of precision,
so you could end up with no meaningful digits without knowing it.

If x is "arbitrary precision", there IS tracking... but it tends to be
pessimistic. You might lose precision (according to Mathematica) even
though -1 < f'[x] < 1. In that case, you lose precision but shouldn't.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com