How to disable Integrate[] ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109467] How to disable Integrate[] ?
  • From: "slawek" <slawek at host.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 02:00:19 -0400 (EDT)

The input line is:

In[1]:= somethingComplicated *
Integrate[somethingEvenMoreComplicated,{variable,a,b}] //. rules

Simplify takes about 5 minutes. And, surprise surprise, the result is still
an Integrate[somethingElse,{anothervariable,p,q}]

It is not so bad, the integral is obviously too compound for Mathematica
(and for me), nevertheless the the reason to use Simplify or FullSimplify is
not to calculate Integrate[], but rather to transform
somethingEvenMoreComplicated into somethingElse.

Is any easy way to force Mathematica to give up simplifing Integrate? And
obviously to transform all other parts of an expression, including these
parts which are integrated?

HoldForm nearly do this job, but "freeze" all parts of the equation. It is
possible to "hold" only Integrate function?

(I tried replace Integrate by dummyIntegrate, i.e. an undefined function.
But it does not work quite well.)

slawek