Re: Cannot load example data

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111452] Re: Cannot load example data
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:03:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/1/10 at 4:56 AM, usenet at (Jon Harrop) wrote:

>"Bill Rowe" <readnews at> wrote in message
>news:i30ghk$mea$1 at
>>On 7/30/10 at 6:55 AM, usenet at (Jon Harrop) wrote:

>>>The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them
>>>do not run in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving
>>>errors like the following when trying to load example data:

>>>FetchURL::nofile: File
>>>C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot
>>>be opened.

>>>Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?

>>How do you expect anyone to determine whether you are doing
>>something wrong when you didn't say what you were doing? You really
>>do need to post the code that resulted in the error message if you
>>want intelligent answers.

>Good point. The following code from the docs fails in the same way:

>ExampleData[{"Matrix", "CAN  292"}]

There appears to be an issue with the Matrix class of example
data. I am able to load the first example data set as follows:

where class is one of

But this fails when class is "Matrix" with the error message you
indicated. And since "Matrix" is one of the classes returned by doing

I see no reason for this to fail.

And FWIW, I see this using

In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= 7.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 19, 2009)

on Mac OS 10.6.4