Re: automatically include automatic numbering in a cell style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111529] Re: automatically include automatic numbering in a cell style
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

What is really needed is a method, perhaps in Workbench, for users to design
their own paclet data structures. Then you could build a data file of
exercises, a data file of citations you might use, and other personally
useful data files.

Then you could, for example, draw randomly from an exercise file, number
them, format them differently if you wish and maybe do some processing such
as selecting random values and computing the answers on the side.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murray at math.umass.edu]

I have a cell style, Exercise, in a style sheet that's just a variant of
Text style. Its definition includes option CounterIncrements->"Exercise".

That style sheet is applied to a notebook where I'm going to use that
style. Three questions:

(1) Is there some way of automatically having the number appear at the
beginning of any such cell when I create it -- without using menu item
Insert > Automatic Numbering.

(2) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with the
text "Exercise"?

(3) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with
"Exercise n. " where n is an actual automatic numbering counter value?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305