Re: automatically include automatic numbering in a cell style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111559] Re: automatically include automatic numbering in a cell style
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:00:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Murry,

I created a stylesheet which has automatic Exercise numbering and some
extra notebook functionality such as a button to step between
exercises.
You can see it in use in the 2nd year course that Paul Abbott teaches
http://units.physics.uwa.edu.au/information_for/current/second_year/am
The files for the course are in
http://ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/MATH2200/2010/

Essentially you need something like
Cell[StyleData["Exercise"], CellDingbat->TextData[{"Exercise ",
CounterBox["Exercise"], ":  "}],
 CounterIncrements->"Exercise", FontFamily->"Arial", FontSize->12,
FontWeight->"Bold"]

I can email you the styesheet and assignment template if you wish.

Simon

On Aug 3, 8:35 pm, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> I have a cell style, Exercise, in a style sheet that's just a variant of
> Text style. Its definition includes option CounterIncrements->"Exercise".
>
> That style sheet is applied to a notebook where I'm going to use that
> style. Three questions:
>
> (1) Is there some way of automatically having the number appear at the
> beginning of any such cell when I create it -- without using menu item
> Insert > Automatic Numbering.
>
> (2) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with the
> text "Exercise"?
>
> (3) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with
> "Exercise n. " where n is an actual automatic numbering counter value?
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg                     mur... at math.umas=
s.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (=
W)