Re: Suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111613] Re: Suggestions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 01:33:14 -0400 (EDT)

First, one can never tell ahead of time what might emerge in a
subsequent version!

Second, as to size of typeset fractions: the often unpleasant small size
is akin to the default behavior the "gold standard" of mathematical
typesetting, namely, LaTeX. There the size of fractions in in-line math
automatically shrinks, but if you want to resize it larger, you can
explicitly do so by inserting a markup command to say to use display
style, which sets numerator and denominator in normal size -- with the
result, of course, that the line with such an in-line fraction becomes
higher than normal and extra inter-line leading has to be introduced
(automatically), which can lead to unpleasant results.

(So what mechanism would you want to control fraction size, and how
would you want the inter-line spacing to be handled. (AFAIK, Mathematica
does not a distinction between typesetting in-line math and display math.)

Third, as to indicating where an error is: perhaps part of the
difficulty here the very syntax of Mathematica. Syntactical scanning of
an expression is not such a simple thing. Here I contrast with J or APL,
where there is a fairly strict left-to-right or right-to-left
syntactical scanning, so that it is essentially trivial to determine
where an error occurs.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305