Re: Problem with renaming Mathematica path on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111788] Re: Problem with renaming Mathematica path on Mac OS X
  • From: Nate Dudenhoeffer <ndudenhoeffer at>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

I am not sure if there is a way to change the saved installation directory,
but you should be able to change it each time Mathematica starts by editing
the sysinit.m file.

I have not tested this, but I think this should accomplish what you want.

Right click on and click "View package contents"
>From there navigate to the folder: SystemFiles/Kernel/SystemResources/
Select the folded relevant to your system.

Open sysinit.m in a text editor (it would be a good idea to make a backup

On a new line just after "Begin[ "System`Private`"]" set the
$installationDirectory variable.
For example:

I hope this helps.   Maybe someone else can offer you a solution which would
seem like less of a "work-around"