Re: Connecting to remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111782] Re: Connecting to remote kernel
  • From: Anne <annie.goj at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:55:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Sadly no suggestions here.  I am having the same problem setting up a
remote kernel with Linux (on both the local and remote machines.)
Searching online I have seen several other similar posts (for example
this thread http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/2a7cc4680bd489aa#
), but no solution yet.

I have tried basic configuration options, with the machine address set
as mymachine.edu and my user name which is the same on the host and
remote machines.  I have tried editing the kernel configuration to
give the path of the program on the remote machine:
KernelProgram: /usr/local/bin/math
or
KernelProgram:/usr/local/bin/MathKernel
ssh works between my local machine and the remote machine with an rsa
key and passphrase.  When I start the remote kernel from the local
frontend, I am prompted for my passphrase, and a "top' command of the
processes on the remote machine shows a new sshd process which dies
immediately.  My local machine gets an error of:
The kernel linuxkernel failed to connect to the front end. (Error MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end.
I think someone else in my office was able to run a remote kernel on
this same linux machine from a mac, so I suspect that the
configuration problem is on the local end.

-AG