Re: in a loop

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111892] Re: in a loop
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:22:02 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/16/2010 5:56 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> On 8/15/2010 7:39 AM, Helen Read wrote:
>> Ever since Grid and Column were introduced, I find no need for TableForm
>> anymore.
> Table with TableForm still seems easier when you want to add column or
> row headers. With Grid, etc., you have to explicitly adjoin rows or
> columns with the headers.

ColumnHeadings and RowHeadings have been on my wish list ever since Grid
was introduced. I don't know why we don't have them.

Still, I like Grid so much better that I am willing to Join my own
labels. That seems to be more effort than most of my students will go to
(though a few of them will). So I started slapping Labeled[] around
Grids in class (without saying anything about it), and the students
started imitating it.

We'll be making tables of terms and partial sums of a series, say, and
do something like this to keep track of which table is which:

Labeled[Grid[terms,Frame->All], "Terms"]

Some of the students are even willing to put in some manual spacing to
label the columns.

Labeled[Grid[terms,Frame->All], "  n         a[n]"]

But yeah, ColumnHeadings and RowHeadings would be nice to have for Grid.

Helen Read
University of Vermont