How to evaluate the Laplacian of a function as a function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114348] How to evaluate the Laplacian of a function as a function?
  • From: Iliyan Georgiev <me at iliyan.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 02:15:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have a stupid problem and cannot find a solution anywhere. I have
the function

func[x_,y_] := 3/Pi*(1 - x^2 + y^2))^2

which I need the Laplacian of:

funcLapl := Laplacian[func[Xx,Yy]]

The Laplacian is computed correctly, but how can I treat the result as
a function? I want to be able to evaluate/plot the Laplacian. I tried
many things and I'm frustrated. My current solution is to manually
copy the derived Laplacian and create a function from that. It's
obviously not a good solution.

Any suggestions?