System wide parallel defaults

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114388] System wide parallel defaults
  • From: Chris Jewell <chris.jewell at warwick.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:18:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

I'm trying to adjust the default system wide settings for Mathematica
7.0 parallel computing setup under Linux.  As you know, the default
(Local Kernel "Automatic") parallel settings in Mathematica assign the
number of kernels to be equal to the number of processors present on the
machine.  However, our GridEngine setup binds jobs to cores, with the
result that if a user requests a serial job, then all kernels end up
bound to one core.  This slows down the job, and messes with the Linux
kernel's load average.  So, what I'd like to do is to set the system
wide default parallel settings to disable Local Kernels, and give the
settings for Mathematica to integrate with GridEngine so that informed
users can then enable the parallel environment if they wish (and submit
the associated parallel job with the correct submission command).

I followed the instructions in the user manual for the FrontEnd
defaults: run Mathematica, make changes to the parallel environment,
exit, and copy $UserDirectory/FrontEnd/init.m to
$BaseDirectory/FrontEnd/init.m.  However, this does not appear to work
for the parallel settings.  Can anyone give me a solution to set
system-wide parallel settings?

Thanks,

Chris

PS. I'm not a Mathematica user, unfortunately, so I'm not very familiar
with Mathematica code.  Please bear with me!
--
Dr Chris Jewell
Department of Statistics