Re: Counting number of numbers in a large list between two valus

Op 6-12-2010 3:57, Lyle schreef:
> Dear Listers,
>
> I have a large (5-20million) one dimensional list of real numbers and
> I want to count the number of entries in the list that lie between 2
> specific values (x1, x2). I need to run the function for a number of
> different ranges.
>
> ie. number of list entries (l), where x1<= l<= x2

This seems to be a pretty fast solution:

In[28]:= between[lst_, {x1_, x2_}] :=
  Total[Unitize[Clip[lst, {x1, x2}, {0, 0}]]]

In[29]:= lst = RandomReal[{-100, 100}, {10^7}];
between[lst, {-50, -40}] // Timing

Out[30]= {0.125, 500249}

Regards,

Fred Simons