Knot Definition and what do they actually do

I have been looking at spline's and limier interpolation.

Thus far I have figured that a simple mesh can be used as a set of
control points.

And that another object can be created from the control points by
interpolating the control points and then creating a new object from
the interpolation.

But I have not yet understood what the knots are and what they are
supposed to do.

So, what are knots and what do they do ?

Rob  . . .