CCP packing of spheres in icosahedron & cuboctahedron

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114725] CCP packing of spheres in icosahedron & cuboctahedron
  • From: Dimitris Emmanoulopoulos <demmanoulopoulos at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:55:53 -0500 (EST)

Hello

I would like to pack around 175 spheres in an icosahedron and in a cuboctahedron, following cubic close packing (CCP). The number of spheres can slightly vary i.e. 172-178 in order to fit within the structure. Then, I would like to repeat exatly the same procedure with more spheres, around 381 (that can vary between 378 and 384). Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Dimitris