syntax highlighted symbol shadowing for Curl

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114721] syntax highlighted symbol shadowing for Curl
  • From: JUN <noeckel at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:55:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
there is a new shadowing conflict in version 8 that affects the Curl
operator from the VectorAnalysis package (heavily used in my
electrodynamics lecture): because of an existing System`Curl, the
former Curl is now highlighted as a shadowing conflict (although it
still works, fortunately).

I didn't find any replies to an earlier post where this issue was
raised:
http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2009/Jan/msg00039.html

So right now I am resorting to this preamble to avoid the annoying and
confusing red highlighting of this ubiquitous operator:

SetOptions[$FrontEnd,
 First[Options[$FrontEnd,
    "AutoStyleOptions"]] /. ("HighlightSymbolShadowing" -> _) -> \
("HighlightSymbolShadowing" -> False)]

I wish there were a more specific way to make Curl appear normal
again, and if anyone has a better solution that would be great.

In the same VectorAnalysis package, I also see a strange behavior when
typing
?CrossProduct
The Times symbol doesn't show up correctly. I reported this as a bug.

Jens