Plotting anomaly with a staircase function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114754] Plotting anomaly with a staircase function
  • From: rebcabin <bc.beckman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:53:22 -0500 (EST)

Hello -- I was investigating a staircase function derived from a
representation of a parametric polyline (concept from Differential
Geometry), and found some plotting anomalies. In particular, sometimes
the "risers" of the stair steps are slanted instead of the expected
vertical. I did some fuzz testing of my function and was unable to
find an anomaly numerically amongst a million random inputs. I
compared my staircase against a different form built from the Matheamtica
built-in UnitStep, and that second form does NOT show the anomaly. I
boiled everything down to the smallest possible notebook I could, and
would be grateful for advice from the community, if anyone has a
moment to look at it. There should be nothing difficult or subtle,
here, which makes it all the more puzzling!

Notebook posted below.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4v0MzmZfdm8MWRlYzk3NTEtMDAzZi00YzM4LTkyZTEtYjM2ZjIxMjc4MTFk&hl=en&authkey=CPOwrzA