Displaying Equations Symbolically and Numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114746] Displaying Equations Symbolically and Numerically
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:51:43 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

I would like to be able to display equations for my students in symbolic
form on the left side and with the numbers plugged in on the right side
but am not quite sure how to do it programmatically.  Suppose my
equation in "symbolic" form is

	sqrt(x^(a+b)) + c ln(d/e)

I know I can make it look like real math by having it displayed as
TraditionalForm.  However, I also want to display the solution with
particular values for the variable x and the parameters a, b, c, d, and
e slotted in, something like

	sqrt(x^(a+b)) + c ln(d/e) = sqrt(9^(2+1)) + 4 ln(32/8) = answer

to recognize that some students may be a little rusty at simplifying on
the fly.   Wrapping the whole package in Manipulate would put the icing
on the cake.

Any tips on how apply the appropriate styles would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Gregory