The size of image output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114893] The size of image output
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:22:13 -0500 (EST)

Dear community,

Some journals require the figures for submitted papers to be of a
special size. For example, the Phys. Rev. group requires that the images
should be submitted in the eps format with the figure width of 8.5 cm.

Up to now I solved the problem by creating the image in Mathematica,
exporting it as an eps file followed by its resizing in Adobe
Illustrator, that has a simple tool for that.

I wonder, if there is a way to specify the size of the output image in
centimeters within Mathematica?

This question has already  been discussed in 1999 (see [mg18166] units
in graphics). The method proposed there seems however, not to work with
the 8th version without modifications. Besides, it suffers from
uncertainty coming from the fact that "Mathematica adds a border around
the graphics and we cannot get the amount of margin that is used,
because it depends of the ticks labels, the plot label"

Are there any improvements in the later versions?

Best regards.

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended