Re: switching between versions 7 and 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114878] Re: switching between versions 7 and 8
  • From: "Vivek J. Joshi" <vivekj at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:19:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

You could always rename Mathematica.app file for version 7 and 8
respectively,

Suggestions,

Version 7.0
Mathematica.app -> Mathematica7.app

Version 8.0
Mathematica.app -> Mathematica8.app

You can put both the installations in Applications or create a sub
directory "Applications/Mathematica/" and put everything in one place. I
have all the Mathematica installs starting from version 5 in one
directory.

Another useful trick I use is to use version specific FE preferences.
This way I can maintain multiple init.m files. Just incase of some weird
version specific FE corruption of init.m file my other Mathematica
installs are not affected and  specifically on Mac this was the only way
I found I could run Mathematica version 5.

In Version 8.0 you could goto,

Mathematica >> Preferences >> System >> (Check the box under "System
Settings"-> Create and maintain version specific front end preferences.)

Hope this helps,

Vivek J. Joshi