Re: switching between versions 7 and 8

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg114903] Re: switching between versions 7 and 8
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:35:30 -0500 (EST)

It's different because installation on the Mac is in general just so
much more straightforward!  (And I say this mainly as a Windows/PC
user.)  On the Mac, once you have the image file, you open it and see a
graphic in which you can just drag the icon for the new version into an
icon for the Applications folder. And when you do that and already have
a Mathematica folder within the Applications folder, it asks if you want
to replace it.

What I don't know, as a newly-returned Mac user, is what you do then if
you want to keep both versions. Evidently some renaming of folders is
involved, but beyond that I have no idea, as installing also "magically"
puts a Mathematica folder inside the Library folder, too.

On 12/21/2010 12:16 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 9:39 PM, richard i pelletier wrote:
>> hi,
>> i have seen, from a couple of posts over the years, that this is obvious
>> and elementary to many of you, but i could really use a little
>> hand-holding. (I have never seen an answer that i could put into action.)
>> can someone please tell me _exactly_ how to set up two versions of
>> mathematica so that i can run either one -- not simultaneously --,
>> without having to go change the names of folders?
>> i am running version 7 on mac OS 10.6.5 -- i.e. snow leopard. i have
>> downloaded version 8. all i want is to be able to run version 8, quit
>> it, and then run version 7, quit it, and then run version 8, etc.
>> thanks,
>> rip
> I do not have a mac, but FYI, on windows, when I installed
> V8, it asked if I want to remove V7, I said NO. So now I have
> V7 and V8 installed.
> To run any one, I simply double click on the icon. No problem.
> I am surprised it is different on the mac.
> --Nasser

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305