Re: switching between versions 7 and 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114903] Re: switching between versions 7 and 8
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:35:30 -0500 (EST)

It's different because installation on the Mac is in general just so
much more straightforward!  (And I say this mainly as a Windows/PC
user.)  On the Mac, once you have the image file, you open it and see a
graphic in which you can just drag the icon for the new version into an
icon for the Applications folder. And when you do that and already have
a Mathematica folder within the Applications folder, it asks if you want
to replace it.

What I don't know, as a newly-returned Mac user, is what you do then if
you want to keep both versions. Evidently some renaming of folders is
involved, but beyond that I have no idea, as installing also "magically"
puts a Mathematica folder inside the Library folder, too.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305