Re: switching between versions 7 and 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114899] Re: switching between versions 7 and 8
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:34:46 -0500 (EST)

In article <iepdkl$g3r$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> I run the same system as you. I have three versions of Mathematica
> installed on my MacBook Pro: 6.03, 7 and 8. I can run any of them
> without problems (not at the same time, of course). The only thing I
> have done was to rename the applications Mathematica v.6 as Mathematica
> 6.03 and Mathematica v. 7 as Mathematica 7. The application Mathematica
> 8 is named Mathematica. I did the renaming before installing the newer
> version of course. That's all. I have never had any problems with my
> installation.
>
> I feel one of us must be failing to notice something very simple ;-).
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

I don't expect that I'll ever try to run more than the latest version of
Mathematica on my MacBook or MacBook Pro, because I have all I can do to
keep up with one version (presently have 7 installed and 8 downloaded
but not yet installed).

So, I'm posting this query primarily for my own education (and _not_
with any hidden or concealed agenda).

Appended below is a complete listing of the auxiliary folders, files,
Caches, CharacterEncodings, Configurations, defaults, documentation,
fonts, FrontEnds, Kernels, Paclettes, Paclette Managers, Preferences,
Repositorys, resources, Setups, and so on that the Print Window utility
shows are in the current ~/Library /Mathematica folder on my current
MacBook

There seem to be 189 (!) of these folders and files (although including
Navigator bulks this up in part), including what seem to be residues in
this list from my having acquired and used every version of Mathematica back to
v1.  Haven't bothered to dig out whatever other auxiliary Mathematica
files may reside elsewhere on my HD, but there certainly are some.

So:

1)  When you (or others) keep and use multiple versions of Mathematica, do you
(or does Mathematica automatically) create separate, different versions
of all of these auxiliary files (like different Preferences or different
default or init or font files) for all the versions you're running?

2)  Or does just renaming the multiple versions by adding v6, v7, etc,
to the application name automatically create and preserve new separate
version-labelled versions of all these auxiliary files?

3)  If you have multiple versions of Mathematica installed, along with a
notebook that you normally run in v6, and you accidentally open this
notebook in v5 or v7, does doing that automatically modify some of the
hidden metadata associated with that notebook, such that it will behave
differently (even maybe only slightly) the next time you open it in v6?

4)  Just to pick one further example, one presumably wants the font
management system on a Mac to be aware of _all_ the (separate and
distinct) Mathematica fonts that are present and used in all these Mathematica
versions.  (For example, maybe you're going to Export a file with text
content from one of the Mathematica versions, and then open it in some other
application like Acrobat or Excel on your Mac.)  WIll the Mac's font
management (and the font menus in other Mac applications) get further
cluttered with each separate version of Mathematica you keep?

For myself, I'm about to move my life to a new MacBook Pro; and trying
to keep my own life protected from all these complexities, I think that
rather than just migrating my current Users and ~/Library folder from my
existing MacBook to the new one, I'm going first install v8 on the new,
virgin MacBook Pro; reset all preferences and defaults by hand; and then
hand-transfer over nothing but plain notebooks from the old to the new
machine.  Only thing I don't know is just what license hassles doing
this will get me into . . .

=======================================
CONTENTS OF MY ~/Library/Mathematica FOLDER:
=======================================
ApplicationData
 Parallel
  Preferences
[...]
[...]