Re: Mathematica daily WTF (101221T)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114925] Re: Mathematica daily WTF (101221T)
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 03:52:30 -0500 (EST)

This comes from the code which performs this magic...

In[1]:= Range[10^6]
Out[1]= (* A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it: .... *)

which works fine with Sequence[], but not with your home-grown version. Since
Mathematica is so completely general, and since so much of Mathematica is
written in Mathematica itself, it's nearly always going to be possible to defeat
internal implementation with externally applied grotesquery (as, for example,
another person on this forum did recently by redefining StringJoin in a way that
didn't correctly handle all possible inputs).  Sometimes that amounts to a bug,
and sometimes it amounts to abuse.

In this case, I suspect it's a bug, although I haven't thought deeply about it
and reserve the right to change my mind.

The page for reporting bugs in Mathematica is here:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/email/?topic=Feedback

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com