Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114981] Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books
  • From: per at RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 04:01:27 -0500 (EST)

AES <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <if1o2q$p54$1 at smc.vnet.net>, per at RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne)
> wrote:
>
> > I plan to purchase Mathematica 8 Student's Edition when I begin at study
> > of astronomy and physics at The University of Copenhagen September 2011.
> > At present I own Mathematica 5.1 Teacher's Edition [I'm a Sixth Form
> > College teacher with a master degree in computer science and English].
>
> For a Scandinavian view on this query, buy Heikki Ruskeepaa's
> "Mathematica Navigator" (a good purchase in any case), and read the
> section in the Preface where he describes how he produced this book
> directly from Mathematica (sort of . . . )

There seem to be two of them, the dearest Edition Three from March 2010
the cheapest Edition ? from December 2010. But is the latter also
Edition Three ? - something that should mean it doesn't cover
Mathematica 8.

And the book is only paper-based ;-(.

At present, I have Stephen Wolfram's "The Mathematica Book 5th Edition"
on my shelves. And a short introduction book.

> > Has Mathematica been improved when it come to produce reports and books,
> > or is it still necessary to convert the Mathematica notebooks for use in
> > LaTEX?
>
> Some of us still regard Wolfram's focus on trying to produce documents
> of any and all kinds directly from within Mathematica notebooks --
> especially documents that are genuinely "typeset," like books -- as a
> fundamentally misbegotten effort, in which case the term "improved" is
> not really relevant to the effort.

Still, LateX will be necessary ...
--
Per Erik Rønne