Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115055] Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 06:00:10 -0500 (EST)

I made no attempt at sweeping conclusions whose purpose would be to
denigrate Mathematica or to make a claim that its design is
fundamentally flawed, or any such thing.  I regard such posts to this
list as distracting and time-wasting for nearly all its readers and
contributors, whose main interest is getting help, seeing new ways of
doing things, etc.

All I said was that for the current Mathematica version:

(1) "Mathematica Navigator" is not a good fit. (What I should have added
is that for the O.P., it could be useful, as he was using version 5.2, I
believe.)

(2) AuthorTools does not work now, at least for me.

In particular, I did not make, nor did I even consider here, any general
claim about the suitability of Mathematica for publication. Indeed, I've
found Mathematica a superb tool for "publication" in a number of
situations, from instructional materials for classes to a paper
illustrating certain Mathematica uses in complex analysis.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305