Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114984] Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 04:02:01 -0500 (EST)

However, "Mathematica Navigator" is not a good buy for Mathematica 8: it
was written for Mathematica 6 (with what would seem like last-minute
add-ons to bring things up-to-date for Mathematica 7). And it explicitly
warns, "Because version 6 differs so much from earlier versions, this
book cannot practically be used with older versions...."  That's from
the 2009 Third Edition; is there a newer one?

Also, what the section "Acknowledgments" near the end of the Preface
says about producing the book from Mathematica is minimal: each chapter
was a separate notebook; the notebooks were joined by the Authortools
package; and the index (and the HelpBrowser version of the book) were
generated also using AuthorTools.

Moreover, so far as I can tell, the AuthorTools package no longer works
with Mathematica 8. At least when I try to create a new project after
specifying its name, target directory, and selected files in the target
directory, I keep getting an error message (which is truncated in the
error window that opens).

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305