Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114976] Re: Mathematica 8 & reports / books
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:34:18 -0500 (EST)

In article <if1o2q$p54$1 at smc.vnet.net>, per at RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne)
wrote:

> I plan to purchase Mathematica 8 Student's Edition when I begin at study
> of astronomy and physics at The University of Copenhagen September 2011.
> At present I own Mathematica 5.1 Teacher's Edition [I'm a Sixth Form
> College teacher with a master degree in computer science and English].

For a Scandinavian view on this query, buy Heikki Ruskeepaa's
"Mathematica Navigator" (a good purchase in any case), and read the
section in the Preface where he describes how he produced this book
directly from Mathematica (sort of . . . )

> Has Mathematica been improved when it come to produce reports and books,
> or is it still necessary to convert the Mathematica notebooks for use in
> LaTEX?

Some of us still regard Wolfram's focus on trying to produce documents
of any and all kinds directly from within Mathematica notebooks --
especially documents that are genuinely "typeset," like books -- as a
fundamentally misbegotten effort, in which case the term "improved" is
not really relevant to the effort.