How to turn off curly quotes in Mathematica 8?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115104] How to turn off curly quotes in Mathematica 8?
  • From: Carlos CÃsar de AraÃjo <cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:06:56 -0500 (EST)

In V8 we now get curly quotes by default in text cells. In previous
versions I used to insert curly quotes trough the keyboard (modifying the
KeyEvent.tr file).

There are two new Cell options that seem related to the automatic curly
quotes in V8:

Options[Cell, AutoQuoteCharacters]

Options[Cell, PasteAutoQuoteCharacters]

However, the following does not disable the curly quotes:

Cell["", "Text", AutoQuoteCharacters -> {},
  PasteAutoQuoteCharacters -> {}] // CellPrint

Cell["", "Text", AutoQuoteCharacters -> {"\"" -> {"\"", "\""}},
  PasteAutoQuoteCharacters -> {"\"" -> {"\"", "\""}}] // CellPrint

I could not find any cell style related to the new default.

As a consequence, it is difficult (but not impossible) to write inline
Input cells with straight quotes in text cells.

--
Carlos César de Araújo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional