Re: looping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107026] Re: looping
  • From: Martha Fateman <mnfateman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:10:01 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 31, 2:58 am, Noqsi <j... at noqsi.com> wrote:

> What you call proper I call less capable. I may be using Leonid's
> techniques in the future.

Less capable in that Mathematica is capable of errors that a correct
implementation could not commit.
I think the only  "plus" is that the renaming allows one to use the
same debugging tools
some of the time.

"Continuations"  which you think are too esoteric, is an underlying
implementation technique
that can, and has, been used to provide remarkable facilities, some of
which you probably would
like.  Like resuming the computation of terms in a Taylor series when
you decide you need more.
Or resuming an iteration after exiting with an error indication.  Or
implementing search with backtracking
in a trivial fashion.  And other ideas that have clear applications in
computer algebra systems.