a harmless notebook crashes Windows 7: who else had it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107220] a harmless notebook crashes Windows 7: who else had it?
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:13:30 -0500 (EST)

*Dear Community,

I have recently installed Mathematica 7.0.1.0  (the Premier Service -
related Home Edition) on my laptop (ASER Aspire 4810TG with Windows 7
Home Edition). I faced a problem that started to show up right after the
installation of Mathematica:

Windows crashes always, if I open a certain notebook and scroll it for
few seconds. The notebook in question is a draft of my lecture and
contains mainly a text (e.g. text cells) and some short and very
primitive pieces of code. To give few examples of the code from that
notebook look here:

*1 - 3 \[Nu] /. \[Nu] -> 3/5

*or here:

*f = (T*c)/\[CapitalNu]*Log[c/(\[CapitalNu]*E)] +
   B*c^2 + \[DoubleStruckCapitalC]*c^3;
\[Mu]p = \[CapitalNu]*\!\(
\*SubscriptBox[\(\[PartialD]\), \(c\)]\ f\) // FunctionExpand // Expand
Posm = c*\!\(
\*SubscriptBox[\(\[PartialD]\), \(c\)]\ f\) - f // Expand

*or here

*Panel@Style[
  "Some text to be highlighted", 16, Blue, Bold]

*There are some other pieces of a code of the same type in that
notebook. The code seems to be quite harmless. However, Windows crashes
and restarts. Another thing that crashes Windows in the same manner is
launching the Outlook Express. This also started to happen first after
the installation of Mathematica.

Other notebooks as well as other applications seem to work well. I
checked for viruses with NOD32, seems to be no of them. The same
"criminal" notebook is running fine on another machine with Windows XP
and the same Mathematica version.  On this machine I did not face any
problem with this version of Mathemactica (at least, not yet).

My question:
Did somebody of you already experience things of this type, and what did
you do in this case?

Best regards, Alexei

*

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.