Re: Covariant derivatives of tensors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107459] Re: Covariant derivatives of tensors?
  • From: Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:22:57 -0500 (EST)

magma wrote:
> There are excellent tensor packages for Mathematica, which can do this and
> much much more.
> Tensorial by David Park is low cost.
> xAct is free
> Check on google or on mathgroup for the links.

Thanks for the suggestion (and to other who replied with similar
suggestions via email).  I was really using this as an excuse to write a
Mathematica package, and trudge through the details for both experience
writing something substantial in Mathematica as well as to help solidify
my knowledge of tensor calculus (which I'm just learning).  xAct does
look very nice, though; thanks for bringing that to my attention.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   Love is a hole in the heart.
    -- Ben Hecht