Re: (any documentation for) linear syntax?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107569] Re: [mg107534] (any documentation for) linear syntax?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 07:03:48 -0500 (EST)

If you want to search for a typeset form in the Find/Replace dialog, I strongly
recommend not doing this by hand.  Instead, use Edit->Enter Selection while you
have an instance of the thing you're looking for selected.  Mathematica will
automatically convert it to the right form for you.

That's really all you need to know.  The rest of my response is for anyone who
wants to understand a bit more about the details of the system, and cares to
hear any ramblings and ruminations I might have to offer about it.

The form you're talking about is not documented exhaustively, but it is
documented.  In the help viewer, enter the following to find it...

tutorial/StringRepresentationOfBoxes

This form is the only way in which boxes can be represented inside of strings.
That is, by the way, where the term "linear syntax" comes from.  In a string,
you must have a linear representation (as opposed to an expression tree) because
strings are a linear sequence of characters.

This is all a bit unfortunate, because linear syntax can get extremely unwieldy,
and it's particularly inside of strings where it becomes most unwieldy due to
subtle issues with how the backslash escaping mechanism works within strings.
While it's possible to create such forms by hand, we generally don't recommend
it, and recommend instead using the various built-in ways of auto-converting
when necessary (the documentation points to some of these).

If it sounds like I'm not exactly thrilled about how we designed this aspect of
the system, that's because I'm not.  There are several gotchas I haven't fleshed
out here, and with the hindsight that we now have, we could probably have done
this better.  Maybe we will someday.  In the mean time, when you do have to
interact with it, it's best to let the system work it out for you.  In the case
of Find/Replace, that tends to be pretty simple using the method I described in
my first paragraph.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com