Why not a standard name used for this common function? DTFT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107627] Why not a standard name used for this common function? DTFT
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 06:37:48 -0500 (EST)

It is nice that M7 added support for Discrete Time Fourier Transform (DTFT).
A very important transform.

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/FourierAnalysis.html

But I do not understand why it was named "FourierSequenceTransform". This
name is completely non-standard.

It could have been named "DiscreteTimeFourierTransform[]" to make it easier
to identify. ALso this name is not used by Mathematica as far as I can see,
so there would not have been a problem using it.

I am surprised because one nice thing about Mathematica is that it normally
uses standard and full names for mathematical functions, but not in this one
case.  May be this could be fixed in next versions and deprecate this
non-standard name?

--Nasser