Re: Square root of a square

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107836] Re: Square root of a square
  • From: Adam Strzebonski <adams at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:52:48 -0500 (EST)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2010, at 09:13, Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Mathematica evaluates FullSimplify[Sqrt[x^2]] to Sqrt[x^2], while it
>> tells me that FullSimplify[Sqrt[x^2] == x] is True.
>> Are these the expected answers?
>>
>> -- m
>>

> The second certainly not the answer I would expect, in fact this looks to me like a serious (perhaps even "shocking")  bug. It certainly contradicts this answer:
>
>  FindInstance[Sqrt[x^2] != x, x]
>
>  {{x -> -(109/5) + (11*I)/5}}
>

> Andrzej Kozlowski

It is a bug in V7.0. The function used by FullSimplify to
simplify equations involving holonomic functions does not
handle branch cuts correctly. It can be disabled with

In[1]:= Unprotect[Holonomic`HolonomicFullSimplify];
Clear[Holonomic`HolonomicFullSimplify];

In[2]:= FullSimplify[Sqrt[x^2] == x]

               2
Out[2]= Sqrt[x ] == x