Re: algebraic numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg106192] Re: algebraic numbers
- From: Noqsi <jpd at noqsi.com>
- Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:01:55 -0500 (EST)
- References: <200912290620.BAA02732@smc.vnet.net> <email@example.com>
On Jan 3, 1:37 am, DrMajorBob <btre... at austin.rr.com> wrote: > Mathematica Reals may not be Rational, but computer reals certainly are. > (I shouldn't have capitalized "reals" in the second case.) Only in the shallow sense that there is a low entropy mapping between computer "reals" and rational numbers in the intervals they represent. But computer "reals" don't behave arithmetically like rationals or the abstract "reals" of traditional mathematics. This fact often causes confusion.