Re: Re: algebraic numbers

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg106220] Re: [mg106192] Re: algebraic numbers
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:47:15 -0500 (EST)

Computer reals are precisely equal to, and in one-to-one correspondence
with, a miniscule subset of the rationals. Every one of them has a finite
binary expansion.

x = RandomReal[]
digitForm = RealDigits@x;
rationalForm = FromDigits@digitForm
{n, d} = Through[{Numerator, Denominator}@rationalForm]
d x == n

{1088471616079187, 5000000000000000}

A number can't get more rational or algebraic (solving a FIRST degree
polynomial with integer coefficients) than that.

If computer reals are THE reals, why is it that RandomReal[{3,4}] can
never return Pi, Sqrt[11], or ANY irrational?

OTOH, how often does RootApproximate@RandomReal[] succeed?

Never, essentially:

Reap@Do[x = RootApproximate@RandomReal[];
   RootApproximate =!= Head@x && Sow@x, {10^8}]

{Null, {}}

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:01:55 -0600, Noqsi <jpd at> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 1:37 am, DrMajorBob <btre... at> wrote:
>> Mathematica Reals may not be Rational, but computer reals certainly are.
>> (I shouldn't have capitalized "reals" in the second case.)
> Only in the shallow sense that there is a low entropy mapping between
> computer "reals" and rational numbers in the intervals they represent.
> But computer "reals" don't behave arithmetically like rationals or the
> abstract "reals" of traditional mathematics. This fact often causes
> confusion.

DrMajorBob at