Storing lists on SQL

Hi. I'm trying to store lists on an SQL database.  The lists can
contain strings, rules, lists and integers etc. I plan to store them
in a variable character field as a single string, but the first
problem is the quotes on the inner strings have to be elided, e.g./"

At the moment I'm trying a recursive routine with ToCharacterCode[] to
encode the inner strings first.  I'll have to do something else for
the rules.

I'm also going to try serializing the lists with Export[] and then
storing them encoded.  (That might be easiest.)

If anyone has suggestions on how I might store these lists please let
me know.