Re: Simplify with NestedLessLess?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg106543] Re: Simplify with NestedLessLess?
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:00:35 -0500 (EST)

> Please excuse if this has been answered before, but I can't find it.
> Is there some way to do a Simplify with assumptions using a
> NestedLessLess or something similar? For example:
> d=a+b
> Simplify[d,NestedLessLess[a,b]]
> Answer is:
> a+b
> Answer should be:

I don't think that Simplify does provide the functionality you are
searching for. It is a combination of replacing and Series that will do:

Normal[Series[expr /. {a -> b*eps}, {eps, 0, 0}]]

the idea is to first rewrite the expression you want to "simpify" in
terms of the quantity that will be small, that is eps=a/b in this case,
then you can use Series to expand the result.

Using Normal will get rid of the O[eps] term, which you often want to
get rid of. Further simplification with Simplify might then of course
also possible for more complicated cases...

I think that approach should also work with more compicated expressions,
but there are probably limits...