Re: Testing Mathematica Expressions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106622] Re: Testing Mathematica Expressions?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 05:12:27 -0500 (EST)

In article <hj131r$be8$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Noqsi <jpd at noqsi.com> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 5:13 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > 5)  Is  ToExpression["exprx"] /. ruleOne  really exactly the same thing
> > (or, will it produce exactly the same results) as    exprx /. ruleOne?
>
> That you even ask this question shows that you simply haven't done
> your homework. Please study the tutorials listed at:

"An example is worth a thousand words."

I'd be glad to spend some time perusing and attempting to understand an
example (the simple the better, of course) for which

      ToExpression["soks"] /. ruleOne

and

      soks /. ruleOne

typed into separate Input cells under identical starting conditions,
where 'soks' is a sequence of key strokes, yield differing results when
evaluated.