Re: Testing Mathematica Expressions?

In article <hj6qfb$8r0$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'd be glad to spend some time perusing and attempting to understand an
> > example (the simple the better, of course) for which
> >
> >     ToExpression["soks"] /. ruleOne
> >
> > and
> >
> >     soks /. ruleOne
> >
> > typed into separate Input cells under identical starting conditions,
> > where 'soks' is a sequence of key strokes, yield differing results when
> > evaluated.

> Unevaluated[x] /. x -> 3
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

You got me there.

But how about some simple expression that does not contain any
Mathematica-unique syntax or commands -- just a sequence of input
keystrokes that would be interpreted as a meaningful algebraic or
mathematical expression by someone who was reasonably knowledgeable in
math and algebra, but had never encountered Mathematica?